Monday, November 28, 2011

BL Game Review: Kimi no Naka no Palladium


The Palladium Inside of You

Kimi no Naka no Palladium is a somewhat recent game, released in 2009. I just played it a couple months ago, and even though the story is kinda weak, I found it thoroughly enjoyable. Since this is the last BL game I've played all the way through, I figured I'd do it next~




Story


Photobucket


In the world of Palladium there are now two separate worlds: the black-winged world of the god Bellenoir and the white winged world in the sky of the god Infini. Aile, a wingless orphan in the black-winged world (I'm not even gunna attempt to romanize these French names XD), is near the verge of death on the side of the street when the energetic Ventvert (pronounced 'Vanver') claiming to to be his older brother, rescues him. Aile has no memory of him, but feeling he's his last hope for life goes along with him on his his quest to find their other brothers who are in the white-winged world.
The plot of Kimi no Naka no Palladium isn't the most complex or original BL game story out there. In fact, the story is like Angel's Feather and Sukisyo combined then simplified XD The whole white wings vs black wings and incest aspect of Angel's Feather, and the whole "You abandoned me!!"-dorama of Sukisyo. Oh yeah, incest, there's A LOT. Pretty much more than half the endings are with your brothers...the rest with your...'fathers'? XD
Anyway, it's not a terrible story, and it's simple enough to not get a headache trying to figure everything out. Nor is it predictable enough to guess the ending (well...maybe it is...)Either way, it's pretty cute, and definitely entertaining to say the least. More importantly, the other aspects of the game totally make up for it.



Photobucket

Like Ventvert's smexiness~

Art
The art is probably the biggest redeeming factor of KnNnP (even the abbreviation is long!! oTL). It definitely has some of the best art I've seen in BL games so far. Everything from the sprites, to the backgrounds and CGS are beautiful. The character designs are extremely well done. There are not a lot of changes in expressions, and no change of poses, which is slightly disappointing. The artist is Hoshi Zain, who I unfortunately am not familiar with, but would definitely like to be * w * I really don't even know what else to say, it's AMAZING D:< Not gunna lie, I'm a total 'judge a book by its cover' type of person, so I downloaded this game purely because I loved the art XD



Photobucket

Characters
Despite having a weak story, I can't say the characters are too. They're actually really well developed. At first, I wasn't sure how I felt about Aile, cause he seemed like SUCH a typical uke (which he pretty much is), but he does have his redeeming qualities. I like that he's pretty stubborn, and can be a total slut XD (Love slutty ukes~). Ventvert (he's called Vent for short, but it's pronounced like Van, sooo I'm just gunna spell it like that, btw) is probably my favorite with his energetic-oniichan-personality. He's totally a pervert, but has a good heart and will protect his lil' brothers with his life. Zephyr, his twin, is not so different from Van in perversion, just not as straightforward. He adores Aile, but hates Van. I'm not the biggest fan of Zephyr, because I don't like that stubborn-won't-listen-to-reason type of character. Another favorite is Bellenoir, the god of the black-winged world. He tries so hard to be all bad-ass, but he's actualy a softie (love <3). He also comes in shota-form XD Those are the main characters you can be paired with, but you can also end up with the stoic and stern eldest brother Blancert, and the deceptively sweet white-winged god Infini (in other words...EVERYONE).



Photobucket

EVERYONE...sans Blancert : /
Gameplay
VERY basic visual novel. Not much movement or effects. There are a decent amount of CGs though. There are about 3 good endings with Ventvert, Zephyr and Bellenoir, 3 bad endings, and 3 ends of no particular severity (one of them being an awesome 3-way between Aile, Van and Zephyr * w *). This is definitely an H heavy game, especially Van's path (which is probably the 'true ending' if any).



Photobucket

"Call me onii-chan!"

There's a nice gallery, but considering how many H scenes there were, I was expecting a recollection gallery which most games have. Well, there is, but instead of the scenes from the game replaying, it's more like a diary for each of the characters you get an ending for and shows the CGs you gathered. Even though the diary aspect is kind of funny, I was disappointed there was no actual replay of the scenes. This could be because I'm a terrible person, and this aspect is very important to me XD Aside from that, there's a music section and dictionary in the extras. I wish the dictionary, which explains the terminology used in the game, romanized the names they used. There's a lot of French in the game (...or Latin? It's hard to tell with the katakana XD) and I really have no idea how to romanize it from the Japanese, so I can look them up : /



Photobucket

Dear Diary, today I was awesome. Love, Bellenoir~

Music
This is the second greatest thing about KnNnP. The soundtrack is gorgeous D:< I have to say, it's probably my fave BL game soundtrack so far. The music almost seems a little too elaborate for such a simple story, but it does fit the fantasy aspect of it nicely. It also lacks those cheesy we-just-need-some-BGM-here tracks (thank god!). Actually, the music reminds me of Rune Factory XD Maybe that's why I like it so much. I was able to find the OST online, so I definitely recommend downloading it~





Voice Acting
Actually, if I were to rank certain redeeming factors, the voice acting would be tied with the art~ I'm such a sucker for amazing voice actors! Almost all of the voice actors I've recognized from other BL games and drama CDs. Aile, being Kojima Uta (under the name Tenno Sora) kind of made my LIFE since I never got to hear his sexy moans as Tokino in Lamento. This definitely made up for that disappointment XD It was also nice to hear Gunji from Togainu no Chi's voice actor playing a less psycho character as Ventvert. Speaking of Togainu, Motomi's voice actor, Ichijou Kazuya, plays the aloof older guy prefectly as Bellenoir too. Also, Akira's voice actor, Toriumi Kousuke (under the name Sakiware Spoon, that sneaky bastard) plays Zephyr (such a mind blowing difference it's not even funny). Lastly, once again, Inuno Chuusuke (Razel in Lamento) as Blancert makes my knees weaken with his sexy stoic voice~ In other words, this game was a voice actor orgy in my ear. If you get excited by voice actors like I do, it will be a delight~



Photobucket

Just going by voice actors, this is my OTP XD

Recommend?
Would I recommend this game? Definitely~ Especially if you're a lover of beautiful art and music and SMUT. The story isn't super complicated, nor is it very long, so even if you don't understand Japanese, it could still be enjoyable. It's definitely a good game for those days where you want to play something simple, but not mindless. Keep in mind though, this game is incest all around, so if that's not your cup of tea, you may wanna skip it.



Photobucket
On that note...Enjoy :D

1 comment: